[8/2] The Once and Future King

A ghost town.

[8/2] The Once and Future King

Postby Dominic Vaughn » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:12 pm

He was still sitting in his hotel room, the lights dim and the strains of smoky jazz filling the room with ambiance. He took a sip of tonight's vodka martini, and was looking patiently at the door when she finally arrived. He only waited for her to speak.

Paige Black, blonde hair askew and makeup hasty, was obviously extremely angry. She pointed an accusing, manicured finger at him, all the more spurred on by his indulgent smile. "What do you want?" she demanded, no sugar-coating of policy softening the snap of her voice. "How dare you demand my presence all the way from Villon's court, as if I were some lackey for a new-world dandy to order around?" She strode into the room, reaching for a lamp to shed more light on the man who had summoned her all unwilling across the ocean. "Who are you?"

He only smiled at her as the light came up, his inhumanly handsome face unmoved by her ire. "You don't remember me, Ms. Black?"

Paige had no interest in his games, stamping her expensively-shoed foot. "No, I don't. Or--" She peered at him, then sneered. "Yes, I remember a foolish, gutter-blooded Gypsy whose crimes finally caught up with him, but you? Whoever you are, you have absolutely no skill at choosing disguises, that's for certain." She folded her arms, glaring. "I'll only ask one more time, who--"

She stopped, mouth open in shock, as scarlet blood spilled down her arm from a wicked slash in the flesh, just below the shoulder. As she opened her mouth to shriek in anger, he put up a hand in an indolent stopping gesture and said, "Ms. Black. That will be enough."

She aborted her scream and moved a little closer to him, but she was trembling with pain and wildly conflicting emotions. "You--you--" she began, and then bit back a shriek as her other arm began to bleed profusely as well.

"I have a better idea," he said, less than concerned with the crying, bleeding woman in front of him. He produced his small, razor-sharp knife, and slit his own arm at the elbow. The blood flow was steady, the drops almost hypnotizingly red and alluring. "Drink," he ordered her.

She sank to her knees beside his chair and sucked greedily at the wound, still weeping as her own blood dripped down her arms and reddened the carpet.

"Now," he said, grabbing her expertly coiffed blonde locks and pulling her head away from his arm, "that's enough." He sealed the cut, the edges of the flesh knitting back together, and reached into his breast pocket, offering her a slim disposable cell phone. "My number is in this phone. Tomorrow night, you will call me, and I will tell you where to go."

He dropped the phone into her hand and let go of her hair, and she stumbled, nearly falling onto the floor. He smiled at her. "You can go now."

Paige fled.
Dominic Vaughn

Re: [8/2] The Once and Future King

Postby Dominic Vaughn » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:13 pm

Paige did not call the next night. After half an hour, he forced her to come anyway.

When she arrived, angry, peevish tears already gathering at the corners of her eyes, he only smiled his same, beautiful smile at her, his arm already cut and bleeding. "Drink," he said without preamble, and she staggered across the room with a sob to bury her face in the crook of his arm.

"Now," he said when she had finished and he had once again closed the wound, "don't you think that's enough games?" She tried to glare at him but failed, achieving only a mixture of fear and awe, and he said remonstratingly, "You didn't call." Her arm, healed from the previous night, suddenly bore the mark of a dangerously oozing stab wound.

She sobbed and clutched at it. "What do you want?"

He viewed her with warm sincerity, as if she were an old friend he had misplaced. He leaned his chin on his fist, watching her where she sat on the floor, and asked genially, "What happened to Octavius Sage and Spencer Nichols?"

She stared dully at him for a second before answering. "Spencer's dead, I think. She's been gone forever. I heard Octavius--" and she practically spat the name, "--killed her, but who cares? It's not as if--" She screamed a little scream, her arm bleeding from a fresh slash.

"Go on," he said cheerfully.

"Octavius is gone, nobody knows where," she said, voice tearful. "Good fucking riddance anyway, he was never the same after he started spending all his time with that lowborn whore. All the elders are trying to find out where he went, but I don't care if I never see the bastard ag--" A third cut joined the first two, courtesy of his small, swift knife, and she curled around her arm, weeping again.

He cocked his head to look at her, then sighed. "Tomorrow night," he said, "you call me again. I'll tell you where to go." He smiled. "You can go now."
Dominic Vaughn

Postby Dominic Vaughn » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:13 pm

The next night, Paige came on her own. She wore long sleeves, and hugged herself, not nearly as much the picture of a haughty Rose that she had been a few nights before. "I called Robierre," she said from the doorway. "My allies will come for me, don't think that they won't."

"I very much doubt it is any concern of mine," he said cheerfully. The knife made its third, final, deadly slice. "Drink," he told her, and she did it with resignation. When she had finished, he asked, "What happened to Circe?"

"She died," Paige said, eyes already crinkling with theatrical tears. "It was a great loss to us, she was so--" He stabbed her again, and she curled herself around the wound, choking out the rest of her sentence. "I don't know what happened, the Sabbat were in the city and they killed her."

"This is what you will do," he said, ignoring her languishing at his feet, unmoved by her attempts to make herself look appealing and sexually alluring. "You will go to Chicago, Illinois. You will purchase three havens, in different parts of the city, and focus on making sure they're well-secured and adequately guarded. You will acquire as much local media influence as possible, and whatever finances you can amass." He smiled. "This should keep you busy, so there's no need for socializing. Don't introduce yourself."

She put both hands on his knee, simpering up at him with all the charm she possessed. "But, don't you want--"

He slit her throat. Not deep enough to kill her, or even bleed her out, but enough to cut the vocal cords and silence her. "Don't you ever learn?" he asked, his voice still friendly and mildly disappointed. "You can go now."

She choked, trying to hold her throat closed with both hands, and scuttled backward, turning toward the door.

"Oh, and Paige?" She stopped, fearful eyes looking back at him above the double red mouths. He smiled at her, effortlessly gorgeous, and snapped his fingers. The air in the room shivered, then coalesced between the two Kindred into a smear, then a shadow, then a wavering vision, and finally a terrifying reality. A seven-foot-tall being crouched in the center of the room, its hideous, scabrous head turning toward Paige like a dog scenting blood. A leprous tongue lolled past its knees, spilling from between terrifying yellow teeth. It was shaped like a lumpy, monstrously-sized gorilla, cords of muscle distorting its mottled skin and an obscene tail trailing between its legs. Pus-yellow eyes glowed mockingly in her direction, and the entire room quivered with sudden dread and a horrific, mind-bending sense of evil.

"This is the Devil," said Dominic with a smile, sitting in his armchair beside the horror. "I control him, you see. He's going to follow you, now." He ignored her gurgling attempt to scream as she shrank back against the doorframe. "He'll disappear after a few minutes, don't worry... wouldn't want to panic the mortals. But he'll still be there, watching you." His smile was still friendly, as non-threatening as if he were offering her a drink. "And if you fail, in even the slightest degree, to do what I told you... then killing you will be only the first thing he'll do to you." The monster in the middle of the room made an ugly chuckling sound. "He wants to devour your soul, Paige. So maybe that'll motivate you not to do anything stupid."

Paige finally managed to get the door open, shaking in terror, and as she pelted down the hall the creature was already lumbering after her.

Dominic poured himself another scotch.
Dominic Vaughn

Postby Dominic Vaughn » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:14 pm

First, he bought a van. A large van, without windows, and tore the back seats out of it, leaving them abandoned at a roadside garbage collection.

Then, he drove to the JR outside of town, in the wee small hours of the morning, and filled it full of cigarettes. It was a large van; it held a thousand or so cartons, packed correctly.

Then he turned the van north, and started to drive. His features melted into a new visage as he went, dark hair and Hispanic complexion warm around his plotting smile.

Five hundred and fifty miles to go.
Dominic Vaughn

Return to Raleigh, North Carolina