[8/2] Keeping Up Appearances

Panic and plot in the posh comfort of someone else's home.

Re: [8/2] Keeping Up Appearances

Postby Aesthetic Anarchist » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:33 am

Ian grabbed a cup of coffee for Evelyn as he waited for the matre'd to return. She probably needed something a little stiffer (hell, he did), but he doubted the wisdom in getting her tipsy. Alcohol did not fix everything. Or so he was learning. It was a simple errand, if only a little strange, and the man came back soon enough. There was only the smallest hint of curiosity on that face when he handed over the tool kit. Ian took it with a nod of thanks and headed back upstairs. There was still too much to do, but he was practiced enough. You didn't live this long without knowing how to clean up a few messes. Besides, he'd been cleaning blood since before he was embraced. Sad but true.
Aesthetic Anarchist

:: ::

Ian Kross
Ventrue
Prince
7 Status

Colin Thomas
Gangrel
Scourge
5 Status

Postby Maeve Glaistig » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:33 am

She nodded sadly. "Yes. I am being like them." She looked over her shoulder in the direction of the bedroom, almost involuntarily, then realized she'd done it and went to sit on the couch near Evelyn, pulling her feet up beneath her and nestling into her oversized shirt. "Ian is being right. Colin is eventually getting well, I am seeing him looking better." She looked at the carpet, then away when she realized it was saturated with blood; her face was pale.

She had no idea what to say to a brand-new ghoul. She tried to dredge up what her first questions had been, but the situation had been too different. Maybe she could allay some of the woman's fears, and give herself something to do that wouldn't involve having screaming histrionics in the sitting room. "Ian is being a good man," she said suddenly. Not graceful, but Evelyn would hardly care if she had her game face on tonight. "He is not to be hurting you, or anybody else. You are not needing to worry." She tried to think of a way to make it all seem less daunting to the poor girl. Finally she tried, without the faintest idea whether it would help, "Is not being monster. We are still being people, just... is like being sick." She held out a hand, hesitantly, for Evelyn; Colin and Ian were cold, true, but unlike most Kindred Maeve knew she had warmth and color in her skin, even a heartbeat now and then. With a sudden, morbid ghost of humor, she said, "Do not worry. Is not catching."
Maeve Glaistig

Maeve Glaistig
Primogen of Clan Toreador
4 Status

Postby Fatal Addiction » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:34 am

Her shoes were ruined. Ian was a vampire, some hapless person was sprayed over the livingroom, and Colin was a mess of hamburger meet on the bed. Yet all she could think about were her shoes. Evelyn stared down, half-wondering if she could get them cleaned or if was worth just tossing them (they were Jimmy Choos for godsake), when she realized Maria was in the room.

She looked up, trying desperately not to look half as terrified as she felt. Maria was trying for a joke and, to be nice, Evelyn braved a small smile. It helped her, shockingly enough, so she kept it as she placed her hand on Maria's. She was warm, at least. Not like that living corpse in the bedroom (Colin, his name is Colin). Evelyn pulled back her hand after a moment, nodding.

"I-I know he's a good man. I just never thought... I mean, of course I never thought this. Who would?" She shook her head. "I knew something was going on, from the beginning I knew. He's not who he says he is, for one. And he's always hid things. Never come in during the day." Her eyes got a little wider at that, as though she were just beginning to really put together the pieces. "It makes sense, but it shouldn't. This shouldn't make sense."

Evelyn lapsed into silence again, rummaging through her bag for a pack of tissues. She was wiping the blood from her heels when Ian returned, coffee in one hand and tool set in the other. She didn't bother look up, even when he placed the mug in her hands.
Fatal Addiction

Jacque Beaumont
Toreador Ghoul
Domitor: Jean-Claude Danut

Evelyn Summerfield
Ventrue Ghoul
Domitor: Ian Kross

Postby Aesthetic Anarchist » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:34 am

Ian had done his best at salvaging the situation outside. There were no cameras in the hall, thankfully enough, so he only had to 'convince' a bellhop that he'd seen the poor lady leave for the evening. Sometimes the simple solution was the best. He gave Maeve a small shrug in passing, not really knowing what to say, and set out to finish cleaning.

The carpet was ruined, so he pulled out the utility knife and began ripping it up. Of course, he had no idea how he'd pay to replace it, but debt was far better than questions. Even to a Ventrue.

Evelyn stared at the coffee, calmed by the warmth in her hands, before a strange thought dawned on her. "So this whole media thing is fake, then? I mean... If you are... You know."

Ian looked up from his task, not knowing what to say. "In a way, yes. It's an attack. Much like Kross Industries, but with paparazzi and poncy little stories." There. Almost the truth.
Aesthetic Anarchist

Ian Kross
Ventrue
Prince
7 Status

Colin Thomas
Gangrel
Scourge
5 Status

Postby Maeve Glaistig » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:35 am

She took her hand back, wrapping her arms back around herself in an unconscious hug. She found it difficult to watch Evelyn clean her shoes, or to think about the moisture on her own bare feet. "No. Is the kind of sense no one is to be making. When I am like you, I am thinking they are being... the gangsters, yes?" She rubbed her own arms, still staring at an undefined point on the wall. "Is turning out I am wrong. Do not be worrying; Ian is making sure you are taking care of."

The Ventrue in question returned, subdued, and she didn't try to talk to him or touch him when he ignored her. She didn't have the right. She wondered if it would be reasonable to just go and sit with Colin some more, but she wasn't sure if she could handle seeing him like that right now. Blood in the bedroom or blood in the living room; no decent options.

She blinked, turnng her head in a listening pose as Evelyn asked about the tabloids. The whole circus seemed startlingly far away tonight. Ian's response was to the point, but Maeve's mind was elsewhere. "We are needing to move. At least to be the different room, or the better locks," she said, voice soft. "Am not wanting to wake up with the curtains open. Colin is needing the safe place to getting better."
Maeve Glaistig

Maeve Glaistig
4 Status

Postby Aesthetic Anarchist » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:35 am

Ian nodded, still set on his job. It was calming to have something to do with his hands. It helped his mind stay thankfully silent. "I'm working on it. I thought it best we get rid of the more incriminating evidence before we move. We can explain away the mess..." His mouth quirked in a bitter smile. "It won't be the first time celebrities have ruined a hotel suite. But the blood needs to go. As well as the body."

Which would mean Evelyn's help. He doubted she was quite ready to start moving corpses, but she would have to keep her composure. A long shot given the state she was in. Things had been so much easier with Lawrence. Ian decided to blame it on her sex; if her little breakdown had anything to do with the blood or the lies or anything like that, it would be his fault. And he had enough guilt to last a lifetime. There was simply no more room for it.

"That means we'll have to pay from now on. Chance leased only the one suite..." Which brought him back to money, a topic he'd rather not dive into. But there was as strange calm in his mind, which let him tackle it anyway. Colin was half-dead in the other room - there was no time for anything other than the blunt truth. "At least until we can get this refurnished, you'll have to foot the bill. My accounts are still frozen." God, that hurt.
Aesthetic Anarchist

Ian Kross
Ventrue
Prince
7 Status

Colin Thomas
Gangrel
Scourge
5 Status

She nodded vaguely, retreating from the front of her mind again so she wouldn't have to deal with the awful reality Ian was gathering up around the suite. "Is fine," she agreed, her finances the last thing on her mind, her thoughts skirting dangerously away from Ian's words. It wasn't as if she didn't have plenty to spare. "Can be moving to first floor tonight, or something. No one outside is being able to following, and I am not wanting to move Colin too much." The constant mortal presence in the lobby would also be helpful, introducing too many innocent people for the hunters to mount a full assault; in fact, they were probably the only reason that the hotel hadn't been destroyed yet.

"I can be getting you out of the hotel without anyone noticing," she finally offered, realizing foggily that Ian's celebrity status would probably make grave-digging a bit difficult. She knew herself well enough to know that she absolutely didn't have the ability to handle a body dump, but it seemed like something she owed the poor woman. It was, after all, her fault that she was dead.
Maeve Glaistig

Maeve Glaistig
4 Status

Postby Aesthetic Anarchist » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:35 am

Ian nodded in return, finished cutting up the carpet and rolling the patch before setting it aside. The blood hadn't really touched the floor beneath, not beyond a flew splotches, so it only took a little scrubbing to clear that up. From across the room, he was painfully aware of Evelyn watching him. Her eyes on his back made him far more uneasy than the task.

"It probably would be best to find a resting place that isn't surrounded by reporters. As useful as they are in some regards, I'd rather lay my head somewhere that isn't public to the entire tri-county area. Innocents will keep the hunters at bay, but it has already been proven they won't stop others." His mind flashed back to Kross Industries and he scrubbed a little harder.

"As for the body..." Ian was happy to switch topics, even if it did involve the dead. "Never a fan of burial and it would just wash back up if we threw it in the bay." His voice was detached, as though he were tossing out a business proposal. "I suggest hitting a funeral home. It wouldn't be difficult to convince the owner to cremate the remains for us."

Evelyn made a stiffled little sound, causing Ian to look up. "If you're going to be sick again, I suggest going to the bathroom. You won't wake Colin."
Aesthetic Anarchist

Ian Kross
Ventrue
Prince
7 Status

Colin Thomas
Gangrel
Scourge
5 Status

She might have normally argued with him, but she barely had the ability to even realize that it was warranted. She only nodded. Oh, he wanted to do something different. That was okay. "I am not knowing anywhere else to go tonight," she said, just in case he was expecting her to have a plan. "Am not knowing anyone else, except for..."

She stopped, staring at her toes. They were bloody around their delicate edges, from walking across the carpet. They looked strange to her, as if they belonged to someone else. No, she didn't know anyone else who was living in Chicago who could help. Mila would probably slam the door in their faces, and none of the Roses would want this kind of trouble, at least not without demanding payment none of them were in any shape to provide. She didn't know anybody who was alive.

She knew some dead people, though, and they wouldn't care anymore. It would be sort of poetic justice, actually, for her to have to go there. Necessity called, and she could even have some time to think about her sins. In a very small voice she said, still refusing to look at Ian after what had happened, arms still wrapped around herself, "We can be going to Johnny's place. Is nobody living there, now."
Maeve Glaistig

Maeve Glaistig
4 Status

Previous

Return to The Monaco Hotel